Monday, November 5, 2012

Senior Capstone week 1


Still haven't come up with a name for my game, but I have my project proposal text done which is all I need to hand in. I would still like to create an actual PPD. I'm doing the game for my senior capstone in GameMaker and the final product will probably be in Unity using the 2D aspects of the engine. GameMaker is an easy to use interface that is mostly comprised of drag and drop elements. I'm reading up more on game narrative because I want to do the most effective, best job I could possibly do. I've always been one who loves game narrative and I believe that this game is going to be very story driven. I want to come up with effective ways in which the story progresses. I don't want to take the player out of the game too often for a cut scene or what have you. Instead I think I'm going to have it happen during gameplay. I feel like that might not be a good idea either though because the gameplay itself would distract players from the story. I feel like we have a much better way to tell stories than simply using cut scenes or quick time events or simple audio being played as the character travels through lull points of the game.
My design process is going to be to make one level first which introduces the player into the mechanics of the game. Once the level is at a decent prototype where it's stable enough to send to people for testing I'm going to do that. After that I plan to go through and make each level as well as whatever way I decide to progress the story. Finally I will make a main HUB to go from one level to the next and sort've combine the pieces together. Each level will have challenges and tasks to give the game a little replayability. Overall I'm excited to start working on this thing. I am probably going to do one update on my game each week and one fun update.
I am not expecting anything to get in my way except for the other projects I have going on, one of which I haven't even started yet. However, I feel that they won't be a problem because I'm working on both in a group, so I'm going to simply do that work in the group setting and use my own time to get everything I need for my capstone done.

No comments:

Post a Comment