Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Finally, another update

Okay, so I'm gonna give you guys an update. I've been meaning to do this once a week but it hasn't worked out that way. Anyway I'm gonna discuss what I've accomplished for the game over the last week, what I'm going to accomplish, then talk about obstacles that will prevent me from meeting my goal.

Player Sprite
What I've done: I finally decided to stick with pixel art to create the sprites. I was going to do raster based sprites with a higher resolution then scale them down, but I am able to keep much better control on the appearance of each sprite if I keep the resolution low. I wish I had figured this out sooner it would have saved me a couple hours that I could have put towards the current player character sprite I'm working on now. I probably don't need to be as obsessive compulsive about my sprites as I am being. Right now I'm literally counting pixels to make sure everything looks symmetrical. It's much more noticeable in the lower resolution I'm working in I suppose so maybe there is a good reason for it. I also have the PPD (project proposal document) finished for the most part and the presentation is going to be next week.
I also started working on a player sprite that I thought would be an interesting design. I know it looks very different from the girl I showed a few weeks ago, and that is actually for a reason. The lack of armor on the girl is supposed to symbolize her vulnerability and her disdain for war. Furthermore, the previous picture was of a little girl who would more than likely not be donning a suit of armor.

What I am going to do: Next class we need to have proof of concept done. I am hoping to get a walk cycle done for this sprite (3-5 frames). And then I want to put it into GameMaker. I am only going to have a 4 way walk rather than 8 way which would include diagonals (at least for the prototype). Once the 4 way walk is done I am going to edit a few things in the proposal document. I feel like the Ouya is a much better fit for my project than xbla.  I am going to comprise a storyline for this game so I'm not just winging it as I write my design document. Once my proposal is finished I am going to post it on here in a series of PDF's for people to give feedback to me.

Obstacles: As I've said in Game Lounge, Breaking Bad is an awesome show. That seems to be my biggest problem as far as distractions are concerned. I still have another game I need to do and a website that I need to put together. I am going to have to use better time management skills to get all this done. Oh yeah and there may be a new baby moving in soon... there goes my sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment